Thursday, October 20, 2011

Apple and Swiss Egg White Omelet with Walnuts



So, after two mornings of cold Chinese food for breakfast (taking one out of the BF's breakfast book), I decided it was time for a real breakfast. But what to eat...

After trolling the fridge, I happened upon Amish Baby Swiss, from the Cheese People, of course and apples. These two delightful items happen to go very well together on a regular basis...so I thought to myself, this is a brilliant plan.

I busted out the eggs, and decided on an egg white omelet with apples and Swiss cheese. I chopped the apples into small pieces and shredded the cheese. Let's just say I was very generous with that cheese... :)
I then scrambled up the egg whites (and I cheated a little bit with just a smidge of yolk.)

Then I heated up a non-stick pan with some cooking spray (I don't trust non-stick pans) and tossed in the apples for a little warming. I poured in my egg mixture and let the magic happen.

After a few mishaps with not so perfect omelet gone scrambled eggs, I decided that I'd use this sneaky little trick I learned about omelets. After it was mostly cooked, instead of flipping the whole thing over, I piled on the cheese into half of the flat egg, folded it over, laid it on a plate, and.... I nuked it. Yeah, I put it in the microwave to ensure melted cheese and fully cooked egg... It tastes great that way, I promise. After nuking the omelet, I added a few more apple pieces to the top for garnish.

While I was taking my initial picture of breakfast, I thought to myself, I should add something and I wished I had a little rosemary to garnish it with. But I didn't. So instead, I added some walnuts to my delightful omelet of joy. It was, to say the least, happiness. The walnuts were an excellent decision. Overall, two thumbs up. Fine breakfast fun. I love a good omelet. :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did YOU have for breakfast today?